Welcome back to The Wrestling Times! Starting to wonder if wrestling really does matter. Last night’s episode of Impact Wrestling was heavily segmented with Eric Bischoff. So is Impact Wrestling a platform for wrestling, or a showcase of Bischoff’s acting chops? Let’s rant about Bischoff, shall we?
Bischoff commented on twitter, “Seems like 90% of the audience loves what the loudest 10% hates. So who really matters? The 10%er’s can’t get over the fact that they are irrelevant. Ratings don’t lie. Research doesn’t lie. IWC smarks need to get over it.”
What research is this guy looking at? The audience members at the Impact Zone get in for free. Sure, 90% of the audience members in attendance must love it because it’s a free show, while the other 10% that actually follow wrestling must feel like they got ripped off every time they have to sit through segments of Bischoff and Hulk Hogan. With such make-believe statistics, it’s easy for Bischoff to sound smart, and feel confident enough to call the Internet Wrestling Community “irrelevant.”
Here’s some actual statistics: TNA Impact! was thriving in 2009, with AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels delivering 5-star matches, and elevating the prestige of its World Heavyweight Title. The X and Knockouts Divisions were the highest rated segments of the program.
Then in comes in Hogan and Bischoff: The TNA World Title changed its makeup twice in under a year’s time. X-Division was practically wiped out, and the Knockouts have dwindled down to The Beautiful People and a handful of former WWE Divas. Ratings dropped soon after, thus making TNA the laughing-stock of the wrestling community; becoming the centerpiece for criticism from wrestling fans, and wrestling minds — who have been in the business — alike.
But he is right, ratings don’t lie. Which is why Bischoff is pleased that there are a million viewers/week who still watch Impact no matter how bad it gets. Hey Bischoff, compare Impact’s 1 million to Monday Night Raw’s 3 million/week.
That’s it for this post. Here’s a question, if the internet wrestling community is so irrelevant, why does he get so hot and bothered by them? Feel free to jot down your comments in the comment box, or send me a line on twitter. My twitter handler is WrestlingTimesX. There are also some nifty share buttons on the bottom: Spread the word!